Getting Started with School Travel Planning (STP) at Your School!
The School Travel Planning Manual is a guide with everything you need to work through the 5-step process.
1. Set up
- Introduce STP to the principal, school community and community partners
- Start a STP school committee
- Set a timeline for the STP process
- Youth and family surveys
- Traffic counts and observations
- A Walkabout to look at the “walkability” around your school
- Identify strengths and concerns
- Plan actions that target school-specific concerns related to active transportation
- For example:
Concern > nowhere to safely park / lock bikes at school
Action > have bike racks put in a visible place
- STP committee takes action to address concerns
- Inform the school community and community partners on progress
- Update Action Plan as needed
- Collect follow-up data to track progress
- Celebrate successes!